Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>> 2) /etc/profile.d/extrapaths.sh uses the [ -d /usr/local/sbin -a $EUID
>>> -eq 0 ] construction, but the "-a" doesn't work in all shells (try
>>> posh). Suggestion: [ -d /usr/local/sbin ] && [ $EUID -eq 0 ]
>>>
>> The title of the section is "Bash Shell Startup Files".  I prefer to
>> leave this alone, although I wouldn't be opposed to making the comment
>> in the descriptive text that some constructs in the files are Bash
>> specific and may not run in all shells without modification.  After all,
>> they won't run at all in tcsh.
>>

> Correct, tcsh does not attempt to use /etc/profile as its startup file
> (FIXME: the book currently says nothing about csh startup files).
> However, /etc/profile is read by all shalls that position themselves as
> Bourne-compatible, so it must contain no bashisms.

I'm afraid I disagree.  When you lower something to the least common
denominator, there is no progress.  One of the objectives of the book is
education.  Showing different constructs is educational.  If the user
changes the login shell, solving any problems will also be educational.

I have no problem saying that using a shell other than bash will
probably require some adjustments to the config files.

>>> 4) It should be mentioned that umask (as set in the book) doesn't work
>>> for non-shell logins (e.g., scp or svn-over-ssh). A recommendation to
>>> use pam-umask
>>> (http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/pam-umask/pam-umask_0.04.tar.gz)
>>> may be more suitable.
>>>
>> In my opinion, pam is a PITA.  It is useful in multi-user environments,
>> but shouldn't be a default for BLFS.  The top of the section does
>> already says that non-login shells normally only run ~/.bashrc.  Perhaps
>> more examples may be useful, but we can't really cover every
>> circumstance where a non-login shell is run.
>>

> That's why this module has been created. I do not propose to make this
> the default, but IMHO not everyone knows about this solution - so why
> not mention it?

An easier solution would be to tell the user to put the umask statement
in ~/.bashrc.

  -- Bruce