Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> 2) /etc/profile.d/extrapaths.sh uses the [ -d /usr/local/sbin -a $EUID
>> -eq 0 ] construction, but the "-a" doesn't work in all shells (try
>> posh). Suggestion: [ -d /usr/local/sbin ] && [ $EUID -eq 0 ]
>>

> The title of the section is "Bash Shell Startup Files".  I prefer to
> leave this alone, although I wouldn't be opposed to making the comment
> in the descriptive text that some constructs in the files are Bash
> specific and may not run in all shells without modification.  After all,
> they won't run at all in tcsh.

Correct, tcsh does not attempt to use /etc/profile as its startup file
(FIXME: the book currently says nothing about csh startup files).
However, /etc/profile is read by all shalls that position themselves as
Bourne-compatible, so it must contain no bashisms.
>> 4) It should be mentioned that umask (as set in the book) doesn't work
>> for non-shell logins (e.g., scp or svn-over-ssh). A recommendation to
>> use pam-umask
>> (http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/pam-umask/pam-umask_0.04.tar.gz)
>> may be more suitable.
>>

> In my opinion, pam is a PITA.  It is useful in multi-user environments,
> but shouldn't be a default for BLFS.  The top of the section does
> already says that non-login shells normally only run ~/.bashrc.  Perhaps
> more examples may be useful, but we can't really cover every
> circumstance where a non-login shell is run.

That's why this module has been created. I do not propose to make this
the default, but IMHO not everyone knows about this solution - so why
not mention it?

--
Alexander E. Patrakov