On 7/17/07, Ken Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  What do your bootscript patches do, and how do you view their risk
> ?

Should be backwards compatible. A couple I have queued up but keep
forgetting to commit them. Add an early script to quiet the kernel log
level, then kill the level handling in init.d/modules.

http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2007-June/059501.html

Second one would kill this bug:

http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/2026

Two other things I haven't done, but would like to (meaning, I may
punt for now since I haven't tested). Support for IP
aliasing/labelling:

http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2007-June/059442.html

Fixing pidofproc to actually do the right thing w.r.t pid files.
Dennis Perkins actually put that part together. The other change he
does there is make the pid list local and echo it back. This is
slightly different and possibly not backwards compatible since the
current behavior has the other *proc() functions just using the global
pidlist variable created in pidofproc.

I prefer Dennis' way and can fix the functions to catch the result in
it's own variable, but it could break existing scripts which call
pidofproc directly. In most cases, though, pidofproc is being called
indirectly through loadproc or statusproc. The difference is this:

current:
pidofproc -s $1 # creates pidlist
for pid in $pidlist; do

new:
pids=$(pidofproc -s $1) # pidlist is local to pidofproc
for pid in $pids; do

http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-support/2007-July/033304.html

That may be able to be split into two parts since the pid file
handling is a bug and should be safe to fix.

--
Dan