Jeremy Huntwork wrote these words on 08/13/07 18:33 CST:

> It's not dead. It's slow, but it isn't dead. I think you set your
> standards for the project too high. There's only two of us and you
> expect the level of support and maintenance that could only really be
> achieved by a full-fledged distro with far more developers.

I sensed the same exact thing when Alex mentioned his thoughts. I'm
thinking, "Man, that livecd has always been there for me, and it
always works. What more could folks want?"

(above is my way of saying the product is very good)

> As for the efforts you make in recruiting testers, perhaps you need to
> try alternative methods of recruit. (e.g., perhaps help keep the website
>   up to date and post requests for help there). More regular news items,
> not just release announcements, but ideas, new concepts and new features
> could be added in a semi-blog form, perhaps even RSS feeds.

This is some of the most refreshing words I've heard in a long time,
and would do wonders for the project. Jeremy, thank you for saying it.
I feel guilty because I don't update the BLFS web site more often.
(haven't even announced Ag's acceptance of an Editor's role, now that
I think about it).

Think Google. Stuff gets indexed so fast now, that we could probably
create a lot more traffic with frequent updates to the web site. Let's
all strive to keep the various project's web pages updated with some
new stuff. It's hard (as there just isn't anything really "new" any
more), but doable.

I'll try. Anyone else?

> Lastly, frankly, I think you scare people away, at least to a certain
> degree. You strive for perfection, which is noble, but in actuality,
> unrealistic. And you set such high standards and strict rules about who
> can request support, that I think it ends up keeping them from saying
> anything.

I've thought this as well (and very well phrased, Jeremy). But only
to a small degree. But this is coming from a guy that isn't really
the best PR figure either.

> If we relaxed a bit more, and opened up more opportunities for
> others to contribute, I'm sure we'd see much more feedback and support
> from the community.

There is merit to those words. I will remember this post from Jeremy,
and going forward from here, attempt to apply much of what was said.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.26] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
19:24:00 up 11 days, 19:15, 1 user, load average: 0.60, 0.93, 0.83