On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 10:15:31AM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
>  In farce, Ken had some
> functions that would skip these stamps, but I don't recall how he
> implemented that.

 For gzipped files, just cmp -s -i 8 (the comment says bytes 4,5,6,7
are the timestamp, hopefully everything ahead of it is the magic).

 At least you aren't asking me to explain the perl regexp which
converts known text patterns (kernel version, date and time).

 That's the sort of thing that might need updating for new date
formats in updated packages.  From memory, some of those date-format
differences took a long while to show up and depended in part on
things like rebuilding in a different month or different timezone
(the return to non-summertime in Europe was yesterday, so probably
missed that).

ĸen