On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 3:47 PM, stosss <sto...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Writing UNIX wrong isn't a violation of grammar. Getting grammar wrong
> shows a lack of knowledge and understanding of the language and that
> reflects poorly on the writer.
>
> What I find really sad is this project is about two years older then
> Gentoo and Arch Linux, but those projects have much better
> documentation and a lot more people involved in the development and a
> lot more users and a lot more activity on their communications
> channels: forums, mailings lists, IRC etc.
>
> I still want to help with this project but my enthusiasm has slipped
> because of the open sometimes hostile resistance by insiders toward
> outsiders like me. Sometimes there is a very obvious undertone of
> don't tell us how to write our book, we will do it the way we want and
> your input is not welcome. That I am sure is the reason the other
> projects have out grown this one. They are more open to outsiders
> coming in and suggesting changes.

I stopped reading right here.  It is their book.  It's a very good
book too.  Those projects you mentioned have grown in very different
ways since they are distributions.  Not books.  Their documentation is
excellent, but they aren't what this book is.  You're comparing apples
to oranges.

Personally I would really like to see this discussion end for a couple
of reasons.

a) It's over such a trivial matter.
b) It just derailed dramatically.

Personally I don't think 'a/an' is a big deal beside a command that is
normally not said with no specific pronunciation rules.  I wouldn't
and didn't blink twice reading that sentence when I read the book
last.

>From a purely visual grammatical sense, 'a' is just fine to me beside
the letter s.  Let's stop beating this dead horse.

Jonathan