Gerard Beekmans wrote:
>> Putting those packages in LFS leaves them unused unless we tell the user
>> to build them in Chapter 5, repartition, and then start over.  I don't
>> like that approach.
>>

> I'm not sure I'm following that one. Which packages will be left unused
> and why would you need to repartition (presumably you're referring to
> the LFS partition created in Chapter 2) in Chapter 5?

Any packages used for advanced partitioning/formatting: lvm, dmsetup,
mdadm, reiser, xfs, etc.  I thought the proposal was to put those in
LFS.  Creating the advanced partitions either requires use of the tools
in the host system, or requires building them with any libraries needed
and then going back.

I don't know what else would be added or where they should be located in
LFS.

OTOH, it fits nicely in BLFS once you have a base system set up.  There
isn't any problem copying an entire build from a simple partition to a
more advanced partition and then booting from the new partition.  I've
done that many times.  It's easier than copying to a different machine,
but I've done that too.

>> Have you looked at section iv recently?
>
> The Appendices, sure. What are you getting at? Put LVM/RAID/etc
> information in an appendix with a forward-reference in Chapter 2 for
> those users interested?

No, my mistake.  Little i, little v: preface.  Where all the LSB
packages are located.

   -- Bruce