Hi guys,

> I'd like to discuss the direction of LFS with respect to where upstream
> developers appear to be going.

I've read the comments posted by other everybody else to date and there
are good reasons both for and against changing certain aspects such as
the initramfs vs. non-initramfs camps.

Even if there are very good reasons not to add it to the book, mostly
for simplicity reasons, I say make the changes anyway for the following
reasons:

1) Simplifying too much does not illustrate what has become a very
common setup on almost every system you encounter these days. The idea
of LFS has always been to educate as to what is going on. If a just
finished LFS system can't begin to explain how a regular distribution
works, what the deal is with their initramfs setups and so on, then LFS
has missed the mark, its primary purpose. It makes it less relevant in
today's climate.

2) Adding complexity to the book is not something to necessary shy away
from. Rather, it makes the experience more dynamic and it illustrates
all the major choices you have (initramfs or not, LVM2 or not and so on)
these days. LVM2 is a wonderful tool when you get past the learning
curve. The LFS server itself was built on top of LVM2 and it has come in
very handy over the years re-arranging things. The book often focuses on
one way of doing things to simplify support. If there is only one
"right" answer to be had (and I double-quoted the word right there on
purpose) then it's easier to support them. That is a valid point but
being too rigid is not good either. Offering more options make people
feel less like they are following a recipe and feel more like they had a
chance early on to customize their system. We all hear comments "I wish
I had seen this hint sooner or read a section in BLFS sooner; now I have
to redo all/most of the LFS system from scratch, again". There is great
value in rebuilding an LFS system many times if you want to. Being
"forced" to do so is nothing but tedious and not always enjoyable. That
affects the user's experience.

--
Gerard Beekmans