On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 01:46:38PM -0600, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> I'd even want to go as far as considering adding a few options to
> Chapter 2. We already have the single partition model and mentioning the
> extra partitions (/home, /usr, etc). Would it be a bad idea to provide a
> full LVM2 example there too? Yes, it'll potentially increase the load on
> support but I feel it's worth exploring.
>
> For those that end up deciding against LVM for their build, the
> appropriate packages in the book can then be skipped. This means the LFS
> book will start to include more optional packages as a result and not
> everybody is likely to install all of them anymore. I don't feel that's
> a deal breaker.
>
> In the end it'll take more work to maintain the book and more work to
> test the various scenarios we "officially" provide. It'll make the book
> a bit more complex as choices have to be made when it comes to
> installing packages. The added value all that provides is well worth the
> extra work in my opinion.

 No objections to choice, and therefore optional packages, but it
might be the thin end of the wedge - e.g. some people think
autotools could be skipped, and *most* of the time the LFS book
doesn't need them (unlike BLFS, which needs them a lot of times when
things in the base system have changed).

 What really concerns me is that things may start to atrophy -
again, compare BLFS - the paths less travelled are likely to break.
But perhaps many people here will use the new options.

 Maybe it will also cause fun for jhalfs - that's not my concern.

ĸen