On Jan 16, 2012, at 11:01 AM, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> Interesting. I wonder if this is a side effect my using an initramfs. I
> assume you have a monolithic kernel and you are using root= on the grub boot
> line?

It is. When the system boots always mounts the "rootfs" device. If you use
initramfs you move a second mount point to that / path, but the original rootfs
mounted by the kernel is still there. It's impossible to unmount the rootfs (no
matter what type of disk it is), hence the two mount points in /proc/mounts.

If you don't use an initramfs the "rootfs" is still what the kernel mounts to
get things started, but since there's no root-switch there's no second mount
point in /proc/mounts and hence nothing with a real device path.

The reason a non-linked mtab shows the real device path is because the root
remount-rw is called and updates mtab to include the mount point with whatever
path mount was given. The kernel continues to track the device as "rootfs" (as
seen in mounts) but mount is in control mtab and doesn't know anything about
the special treatment.

        Zach