Zachary Kotlarek wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2012, at 10:23 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
>> I'm sure that systemd solves a problem for 1% of users, but for
>> 99%, it's not needed.  I recently installed Fedora 16 on a virtual
>> system with exactly one partition.   The listing below is what I
>> got for a simple 'mount' command.
>

> Your complaint here is with how the kernel has chosen to expose
> cgroups, not with systemd.

Not trying to speak for Bruce here, but my complaint after seeing that
list is that systemd has apparently decided (against my will) to enable
all of:

1) cgroups, with the split-cgroup hierarchy, so times nine
2) binfmt_misc
3) securityfs (...bwuh?)
4) mqueue, whatever that is
5) debugfs (since I'm a kernel developer...)
6) hugetlbfs (THP is in the kernel for a reason; this interface sucks)
7) rpc_pipefs (useful for NFS, useless without AFAIK)

And that's assuming that /media is something that was asked for; if not,
that's another entry on here (and one that, depending on the setup,
could break my system entirely; I have a whole lot of subdirectories of
/media holding a lot of different bits of data that won't fit on the
rootfs; nothing in /media directly though, so it'd depend on when
everything got mounted).

That's just a *tiny* bit excessive I think.

Now maybe this can all be disabled, but it seems that for something as
core to the system as init, it'd be better to disable esoteric bits of
it by default, not enable them by default.