On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:34:44PM +0200, Ragnar Thomsen wrote:
> On Thursday 27 September 2012 15:05:00 Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> > My system boots to the login prompt in about 8 seconds without it.  How
> > much time do you think it might save?
>
> My system boots to login in around 10 seconds, and when I use KDM an
> additional 20 seconds. So I was hoping it might cut half of the 10 seconds at
> least...
>
> I use a laptop which means it gets restarted a lot, so every second counts...
>
> -Ragnar-

 I've got a netbook running ubuntu (haven't found time to look at
building LFS, or even my own kernel, on it), and the only time I
have to reboot it is when I forget to plug it in to the charger.

 The rest of the time, it suspends to RAM (tried suspend to disk when
I first got it, but something, probably the screen, was trashed on
resume).

 No real idea *how* suspend is controlled (previously, on ibooks, I
used pbbuttonsd :) but it might be a more practical approach than
trying to speed time when booting.

 Actually, I might find time to take a look at suspend :  I've
found manpages for s2ram and s2both online - s2both supposedly needs
an initrd to resume from disk if the power ran out, and perhaps
plays about with grub.

ĸen