Zachary Kotlarek wrote:

> And as far as ugliness goes, be sure to compare apples to apples;
> you're used to sysvinit, so it's easy to ignore its flaws. But
> sysvinit uses a whole set of folders and symlinks in /etc that
> contain a lot of highly-redunant files to communicate a tiny amount
> of information that's typically used only once or twice per boot.

Actually, we tried to clean that up a bit.  The files are in
/etc/rc.d/init.d and almost everything else is just symlinks.  The
subdirectories for /etc/sysconfig were removed and most, but not all, of
the files there can be included in rc.site.  The other place that
scripts are located is /lib/lsb, but that's there due to a standard.

The structure is not particularly hard to learn.

On Fedora, there is:

./system:
basic.target.wants
dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service
dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service
default.target
default.target.wants
getty.target.wants
graphical.target.wants
multi-user.target.wants
network.target.wants
printer.target.wants
sockets.target.wants
sysinit.target.wants

./system/basic.target.wants:
ip6tables.service
iptables.service

./system/default.target.wants:
systemd-readahead-collect.service
systemd-readahead-replay.service

./system/getty.target.wants:
getty@tty1.service

./system/graphical.target.wants:
system-setup-keyboard.service

./system/multi-user.target.wants:
abrt-ccpp.service
abrtd.service
abrt-oops.service

Say what?

The service files look like Windows ini files.  Changing to that seems
to me changing for change sake, but not really adding value.

In the iptables.service file are:

ExecStart=/usr/libexec/iptables.init start
ExecStop=/usr/libexec/iptables.init stop

So we are adding another directory to /usr.  /lib/boot/ strikes me as a
better place.  But why do we now have two entries.  The iptables.service
file is now 17 lines when the sysvinit was a simple symlink (or 6 in a
parallel structure).

   -- Bruce