Ragnar Thomsen wrote:
> On Thursday 27 September 2012 15:05:00 Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> My system boots to the login prompt in about 8 seconds without it.  How
>> much time do you think it might save?
>
> My system boots to login in around 10 seconds, and when I use KDM an
> additional 20 seconds. So I was hoping it might cut half of the 10 seconds at
> least...
>
> I use a laptop which means it gets restarted a lot, so every second counts...

I can understand that, but the difference you describe is basically the
same as running startx which does little more than run xinit.  I suppose
that you might be able to save a couple of seconds by starting kdm a
couple of seconds earlier, but I doubt you will be able to notice a
difference without measuring (e.g. stopwatch).

The main reasons commercial distros take so long to come up is that they
have lots of unneeded drivers in their initrd and each one tries to see
if their hardware is present.  LFS saves a lot of time by skipping the
initrd and not using modules.

I'll be interested in what you are able to discover.

   -- Bruce