Matt Bartley wrote:
<snip>

Are you able to run "ldd" on a.out? If so, any missing libraries? Though usually you would see a missing library in ldd's output unless it's ld-linux.so.2 itself.

If ldd doesn't give you a clue, I suggest downloading the 'strace' program from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2861

Compile and link it statically, copy it inside chroot and run a.out this way:

        strace -o output.txt ./a.out

Take a look at the output.txt file. It will be filled with system calls which may or may not mean anything to you. Sift through it and look for "No such file or directory" errors. Some will be expected as it tries to locate libraries in a few locations so keep that in mind. Every library it tries to find should be found at any rate. If it doesn't, that's where your problem would be. Permission denied errors are also something to look for.

Feel free to email the output.txt file to this list if you can't make sense of it.

Also, this problem doesn't happen if I build LFS-6.1 or LFS-development.

What exactly are you trying to build then? Did I miss that part?

OT: I read these groups through the NNTP interface, but it won't let
me post that way any more.  Following these threads is a pain.

Unfortunately the NNTP system isn't the greatest thing out there. It's not actively maintained anymore because nobody has a clue how the thing works. I'm contemplating getting rid of it altogether if something can't be figured out soon. That's a discussion for another thread.

--
Gerard Beekmans