Jeremy Huntwork wrote on 25-02-08 16:37:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> It has recently been suggested to me that the LFS LiveCD project be
> killed. The main arguments for this are, essentially:
>
> 1) It is currently unmaintained
> 2) It removes the essential prerequisite of being able to configure a
> Linux system
> 3) It leads to less testing from other hosts
> 4) A seeming lack of community interest in contributing. Especially,
> essential testing (and reports on the results of tests!) on varied
> hardware does not seem to be taking place
>
> As you may guess, I have mixed feelings about this. But after reflecting
> on it a bit, my hesitancy to agree comes mostly from personal attachment
> to the CD and perhaps not what is best for LFS.
>
> At this point I need community input. I realize that many of you may use
> and appreciate the CD, just as I do. But realistically, this project
> will die of its own if it does not get some help. And if that happens,
> then LFS would be better off removing the dead weight.
>
> I have some energy and some ideas to put back into the project, but only
> if I get some help with development and testing. I need to know two things:
>
> * Does the community still want the LiveCD project? (Consider that a
> couple of the arguments above imply that the LFS LiveCD by its nature is
> degrading the quality of LFS)
>
> * If so, is the community prepared to lend help in keeping it alive?
>
> If the answer to both questions is not a solid yes, I'm afraid that
> we'll have no choice but to kill the project.
>
> --
> JH

I personally have not used a LiveCD, but reading this whole
longwinded discussion, it appears to me that one might first
try to (re)establish a few goals and purposes for the LiveCD.

For instance (some of these mentioned here partially overlap):

1. purpose: educational??  if so, down to what level of incompetence?
2. 'standalone' usability, or companion to the book?
3. usability: just basics (networking, toolchain) to get you going (as per the
book?)?
4. final functionality: just a step in a building process, or a complete system
more or less in itself

This is just a quick toss; there might be others.

bjd