Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

>> * Does the community still want the LiveCD project? (Consider that a
>> couple of the arguments above imply that the LFS LiveCD by its nature is
>> degrading the quality of LFS)
>>
>> * If so, is the community prepared to lend help in keeping it alive?
>>

> Thank you all for your comments and consideration. I ran through the
> lists quickly this morning and came up with the following:
>
> 20 people expressed their appreciation for the CD, more than half voting
> to keep the project around. Also, several either offered to contribute
> or suggested ways in which the project may be improved.
>
> 2 people explicitly voted to drop the project.
>
> I could let this thread continue for some more time, but I get the
> impression that the ratio of votes will continue approximately the same.
>
> So the real question now becomes, where do we go from here? There have
> been a few suggestions put forward as to what may help future
> development and what will alleviate the original concerns brought up. I
> will try to lay down what I recall:

> that is minimal (and minimal means minimal, not just 'without X') and
> re-define core concepts that the CD will adhere closely to. (For
> example, as proof of the soundness of LFS, the CD should strictly adhere
> to LFS. If we adopt this one aspect, we should also be able to make use
> of ALFS development to produce the CD, instead of maintaining a full set
> of separate scripts.)
>
> * As has been suggested from a long time ago, make use of package
> management in the build process, especially for BLFS packages. This
> would allow at least two benefits: an easier development process, and
> greater extensibility/customization.
>
> * Add an LFS-style document to the project that teaches how to create a
> LiveCD from scratch.
>
> * Devise methods for users to more easily provide feedback and make it
> easier to contribute as a whole.
>
> What are your thoughts on the above? And are there any other
> suggestions, either new ones or ones that I missed?
>
> --
> JH

Sounds good to me, perhaps for the community bug report/todo list the
different areas of the FromScratch projects could combine forces to look
at implementing a single system that works across all, it would enable a
single signup of a 'contributor' account to work with all the projects
as the need/time arises.  If you use PHP on your boxes i'd be happy to
offer my modest skills to *help* with something like this, I say help
because i have 3 outstanding projects which pay my wages, so my time is
limited :)

Regards

Phill