2009/9/26 J.P.Kaper <spaky...@xs4all.nl>:
> Maybe somebody else can find the right suggestion to let me solve my
> problem.
>
> Hans Kaper.

 One of the problems with usb drives is that they can
take a long time to appear.  I've never tried to boot
from usb, but ISTR that there is a command-line argument
to wait for the drive.

 A quick look in the kernel's
Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt (you can read
it from the tarball in 'view' if you don't have the kernel
source tree handy) suggests boot_delay= might be
what I'm thinking of.

 Perhaps try boot_delay=15 which should be a
ridiculously long wait.  If it works like that, cut it
down until you've reduced it too far, then back off
a bit.

 I expect you've already seen the following
guides, but just in case:

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/USB_Booting
 and
http://wiki.debian.org/BootUsb