Op Sat, 26 Sep 2009 21:29:08 +0200 schreef Baho Utot
<baho-u...@columbus.rr.com>:

> Ken Moffat wrote:
>> 2009/9/26 J.P.Kaper <spaky...@xs4all.nl>:
>>
>>> Maybe somebody else can find the right suggestion to let me solve my
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Hans Kaper.
>>>

>>  One of the problems with usb drives is that they can
>> take a long time to appear.  I've never tried to boot
>> from usb, but ISTR that there is a command-line argument
>> to wait for the drive.
>>
>>  A quick look in the kernel's
>> Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt (you can read
>> it from the tarball in 'view' if you don't have the kernel
>> source tree handy) suggests boot_delay= might be
>> what I'm thinking of.
>>
>>  Perhaps try boot_delay=15 which should be a
>> ridiculously long wait.  If it works like that, cut it
>> down until you've reduced it too far, then back off
>> a bit.
>>
>>  I expect you've already seen the following
>> guides, but just in case:
>>
>> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/USB_Booting
>>  and
>> http://wiki.debian.org/BootUsb
>>
>> ĸen
>>

> I think you may be looking for rootdelay=<seconds>
>
> from Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
>
> rootdelay=    [KNL] Delay (in seconds) to pause before attempting to
>             mount the root filesystem
>
> Others to try:
>
> boot_delay=    Milliseconds to delay each printk during boot.
>             Values larger than 10 seconds (10000) are changed to
>             no delay (0).
>             Format: integer
>
> usb-storage.delay_use=
>             [UMS] The delay in seconds before a new device is
>             scanned for Logical Units (default 5).

The above hints were a step forward for my problem, but not the ultimate
solution.
Adding the kernel-parameter boot_delay=9000 and/or
usb-storage.delay_use=15 changed nothing. But adding rootdelay=10 made a
difference: the kernel still would not boot, but in the suggestions by the
kernel of partitions to boot from, my usb-disk appeared! Adding
boot_delay=9000 made no difference. So the kernel recognizes my usb-disk,
but why it will not boot from there is still a puzzle to me.

Copying the whole LFS-installation from a logical to a primary partition
on the usb-drive made no difference.

Any further ideas are very wellcome!!