Op Tue, 29 Sep 2009 04:32:17 +0200 schreef Spahn, Daniel
<dsp...@cuh2a.com>:

>> Booting from the USB disk fails with
>> "[4.410067] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount
>> root fs on unknown-block (2,0)"
>>
> Have you tried changing the partition number up or down by one?

Yes, I have, but without result.

>> I have a SUSE 10.3-installation on a primary partition of the same
>> USB-disk and that boots fine. But from the SUSE kerel-configuration I
>> have not been able to figure out the relevant difference with the
>> LFS-kernel-configuration.
>
> I tend not to use a configuration across distros, unless I had built the
> first from a pure kernel source from kernel.org or similar. In fact,
> most of my kernel configurations are done from scratch, because I have
> had trouble in the past in areas where the flavor customized the kernel
> for the sub-version of the distribution.

Of course you are right. I only tried to figure out what was missing or
wrong in the LFS-kernel by comparing it with a kernel on the same drive
that did  boot.

> Try re-partitioning, setting the boot flag, and swap partition type. I
> prefer cfdisk.

I will certainly try that, but my first callenge now is to be able to boot
 from the USB-disk and understand why it does not now.

>> It took me a long time with LFS to come as far as this (and I enjoyed it
>> very much and learned a lot from it), so I hope somebody can help me
>> with the last hurdle.
>
> As much as I like LFS, it's not great for a production OS. Without
> distancing yourself from the OS too much, Gentoo automates the tedious
> end of things, but specific customizations can be applied relatively
> easily.

Maybe you are right. I like LFS because it gives the opportunity to build
a system from scratch and by doing that learning a lot about the details
of Linux. I also like the support forum with people that will try to help
you when you got stuck.

But I will have a look into Gentoo sometime!

Thanks a lot.

Hans.