>I am building LFS from book 6.4 on an ext3 logical partition of an
>external USB harddisk.
>My host system is SUSE 10.3 on one of my two internal harddisks.
>
>Booting from the USB disk fails with
>"[4.410067] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount
>root fs on unknown-block (2,0)"
>
>In the lines right before the panic the kernel seems to enumerate
>the partitions on my internal harddisks:
>"[......] 0801 number sdxy"
>where x=a or b, in y I recognize the partitionnumbers on my two internal
>harddisks and "number" correlates with the size of the partitions.
>So it looks as though the panic has something to do with the USB-disk,
>which is next in line for enumeration.
>
>The fstab-entry for the USB-disk is:
>/dev/disk/by-id/usb-SAMSUNG_HM160HI_160000113662-0:0-part8  /mnt/lfs
>ext3  defaults 1 1

Have you tried changing the partition number up or down by one?

>lspci -v showed as USB-drivers on my host system:
>  USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI
>Controller
>and
>  USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI
>Controller.
>
>On that basis I build every reasonable USB- and SCSI-configuration entries
>into the kernel as well as all of the ext2 and ext3 filesystem-entries,
>but nothing worked.
>
>I have a SUSE 10.3-installation on a primary partition of the same
>USB-disk and that boots fine. But from the SUSE kerel-configuration I have
>not been able to figure out the relevant difference with the
>LFS-kernel-configuration.

I tend not to use a configuration across distros, unless I had built the first
from a pure kernel source from kernel.org or similar. In fact, most of my
kernel configurations are done from scratch, because I have had trouble in the
past in areas where the flavor customized the kernel for the sub-version of the
distribution.

>In the support-archives are some posts with comparable problems,
>for instance Charles Turner in April (but I could not find his solution)
>and RaptorX in August (but that was not about an USB-harddisk).
>Baho Uto gave an excellent exposition to the problem of Rodolfo Perez, but
>I work the other way round. I tried his solution and copied my
>LSF-instance from the USB- to my second harddisk, build the kernel there
>and changed fstab, but Grub protested: "Bad file or directory type". I
>have not had the time yet to figure out what went wrong there.

Try re-partitioning, setting the boot flag, and swap partition type. I prefer
cfdisk.

>It took me a long time with LFS to come as far as this (and I enjoyed it
>very much and learned a lot from it), so I hope somebody can help me with
>the last hurdle.

As much as I like LFS, it's not great for a production OS. Without distancing
yourself from the OS too much, Gentoo automates the tedious end of things, but
specific customizations can be applied relatively easily.