On 02/06/10 22:24, Mike McCarty wrote:
> linux fan wrote:
>> Unfortunately, now we don't get to find out exactly why the original problem
>> "undefined reference to __stack_chk_guard"
>> surfaces from time to time.
>
> I don't see why. It simply has to do with whether gcc provides the
> stack clobber check. It's not like there isn't any way to find
> information on it. I turned these up immediately...
>
> http://wiki.osdev.org/GCC_Stack_Smashing_Protector
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/6657/
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2005-07/msg00046.html

If I'm reading those correctly the problem happens when newer versions
of gcc are compiled against an older version of glibc, which begs the
question, why was Paul Rogers getting the "undefined reference to
__stack_chk_guard" error in chapter 6? At that point the gcc he was
using should have been compiled against the new glibc in /tools
Or am I missing something?

Andy