On 6/2/10, Mike McCarty <mike.mcca...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Paul Rogers wrote:
>> I reported it doesn't work with 6.1, that's as close as I had. And the
>> response I got was, paraphrasing, "use 6.3, it's known to work".  There
>> seemed to be a complete lack of recognition of it being a problem with
>> the book.  Frankly, the resistance I experienced getting general
>> recognition the problem should be taken seriously hasn't engendered much
>> desire to volunteer.  I don't care for this sort of welcome.

It was recognized that there might be a problem with the book.
As of this writing, it has not been proven that there is a problem with the book
To prove that, just needs for someone to make the attempt to build
from 6.1 to 6.6 by hand to elimiate the possibilty of a script
introducing some peculiar effect.

But, due to debate, that point has become obsolete since the book has
been obligingly updated.

> I haven't read where anyone claims that the book is infallible. What
> has been claimed is that if you follow the book, then you'll get help,
> and if you depart then the amount of help you'll get is inversely
> related to the amount of departure.

That's the way it works.

>> I thought the purpose of a support mailing list was to help users solve
>> THEIR problems.  My mistake, I guess.

Everybody is happy to help solving problems encountered while building
a system according to the instructions in the book
LFS-DEV is for discussing the contents of the book.
Disagreements irritate everybody and should go private email and then
the result can be summarised.

At least that is what I thought.

The LFS books are great and the support is great.