On Wednesday 02 June 2010 21:22:07 Mike McCarty wrote:

> >> Volunteers welcomed.
> >
> > I reported it doesn't work with 6.1, that's as close as I had. And the
> > response I got was, paraphrasing, "use 6.3, it's known to work".  There
> > seemed to be a complete lack of recognition of it being a problem with
> > the book.  Frankly, the resistance I experienced getting general
> > recognition the problem should be taken seriously hasn't engendered much
> > desire to volunteer.  I don't care for this sort of welcome.
>
> I haven't followed this thread very closely, so perhaps that explains
> my confusion. What, precisely, is the "problem" with the book? Do you
> want the authors to add a check for the running kernel version? That
> would "fix" the book.

My understanding is that Paul came upon an error while building 6.6 from 6.1.
When he reported this error here the overall reply was that he should try a
more recent build to start with. Paul objects because the 6.6 book stated 6.1
would suffice.

IMO The whole discussion on wether Paul did or did not follow the book to the
letter does not matter one bit ... until someone proofs otherwise (i.e. is
able to build 6.6 from 6.1) Pauls claim that the book is wrong is correct.

I think Paul does have a point. I'm not suggesting the book should be tested
against every possible running kernel version but if the general consensus is
that a 6.3 system is required than the book should state 6.3 until proven
otherwise.

Just my 2c.

Danny.

--
In theorie is er geen verschil tussen theorie en praktijk.