Mikie wrote:

> How does Grub stage one (which I am told exists in the tiny MBR) know
> where to get stage 2 code and config files?

It's actually a quite complicated process.  Short answer, the install
program hard codes the location (sector) in the MBR.

Slightly longer answer.  It depends on the partition type.  The most
common type is MSDOS but GPT is becoming more common and is required for
disk drives > 2 TB.

For most MSDOS partitions, the boot track immediately follows the MBR
and has enough code to read the /boot partition for grub modules.  It is
commonly 62 sectors or 31K long.

   -- Bruce