On 9/1/2012 8:44 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Eleanore Boyd wrote:
>
>> And besides that, you were once in his position, otherwise known as
>> being a "n00b" in the gamer shorthand that has infested common English.
>> For that matter, we all were, and possibly still are.
> Elly,
>     There are generally three types of people who ask questions on the lists.
>
> First, there are people who have some experience and just need some
> help in one area to overcome a particular issue.
>
> Second, there are some who think they know a lot and deviate from the
> book and then challenge the book because what they did went wrong.
>
> Third, there are those that really do not have sufficient experience
> with Linux in general.  Perhaps they try to build LFS without ever
> installing or using a distro like Fedora or SUsE or Ubuntu.
>
> In the last two cases, they have often skipped the preface completely.
> Examples are 'Audience' and 'Host System Requirements'.
>
> Not too long ago, one guy was quite upset because we didn't have a way
> for him to type 'makelfs' or equivalent and create the whole system,
> BLFS included.  That was an example of the third group.
>
> A subset of the third group is those who ask a tremendous number of
> questions.  Sometimes the questions are quite reasonable, but it gets
> old when it becomes obvious they are asking questions without even
> trying to research an answer.
>
> Let's take the recent thread "Boot message log location".  It was a
> reasonable question and Ken made a fairly long reply.  I suggested
> setting up an interactive boot, but I got a reply "That's optional, I
> don't want to do that."  I think the conversation went downhill from there.
>
> We try to help most users, but sometimes it's hard.
>
>     -- Bruce
I was referring to Ben's attitude in his reply. I don't appreciate
people who accuse one person of condescension when they themselves have
written such a reply. And besides that, with the way Linux is in
general, it seemed appropriate to use the term.

On a side note, I love calling myself a "n00b". It's just so much fun :)

Elly