On 17/11/2013 10:10 AM, Dan McGhee wrote:
> On 11/16/2013 03:40 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 02:04:31PM -0500, Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> After getting the stock LFS system installed, with an MBR type boot
>>> installation, I'm experimenting with installing to a UEFI type boot
>>> location on a brand new hard drive. I've been reading a lot of online
>>> documentation, and have tried a first-cut installation, but am not
>>> having success in installing. While I can install the entire set of LFS
>>> programs, and a lot of BLFS programs, when I try to boot up, Linux fires
>>> up but quickly generates a fatal error.
>>>
>>> Is there any possibility of advice from the LFS staff?
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/lfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org/
>>
>>   See the posts from Dan McGhee - most recently on 13th November, but
>> starting on 28th October.  Four threads, titles mentioning GRUB
>> or EFI.  At the moment they are all on the first page at that link,
>> at least in firefox.
>>
>>   Our best advice / guesses is in those threads.  Dan hasn't cracked
>> it yet, but your hardware might be different.
>>
>> ĸen
> I thought I was going to be able to report success this afternoon, but
> as yet "no joy."  My efforts so far have resulted in the following
> conclusions:
>
> 1.  There is something wrong in my grub set-up.
> 2.  My kernel is not bootable.
> 3.  I have missed something in the EFI info.
>
> At this point, all I want is some indication that my kernel is booting.
> As long as I get only one message from the kernel and the system freezes
> I can conclude that all else is fine except my kernel.
>
> I'm writing this e-mail "on the fly" and don't have my EFI sources at
> hand.  I read last night that from the EFI partition the bootloader--in
> this case GRUB--doesn't know where the file system is even though it can
> read the partition table.  Therefore, and initramfs is called for.  I
> know nothing about these.  I've read what the BLFS book has and have
> tried it with no success.  At this point, I don't know enough to solve
> any "gotcha's" that the initramfs hint gives.  Gonna try dracut.
>
> If I can't make any head-way in the next few days, I'm going to install
> a minimal ArchLinux system and try the various GRUB options.  I don't
> think they sign their kernels--see last paragraph--and that will test
> the GRUB stuff.
>
> I cannot verify this in any documentation.  It's just a hunch I have.
> When it comes to booting using an EFI partition, we must ignore
> everything we've learned about booting and using GRUB.  It may be that
> using GRUB in a multiboot environment we cannot use the "linux
> /boot/vmliz* root=/dev/xxx ro" to get to another distro.  We may have to
> use grub's chainloader to do that.  I say this because, I have not been
> able to get Ubuntu to boot from my LFS-7.4 system in the "old" way.  I
> was successful using the chainloader.  If all this is true, then the
> [...]

Dan,

I could not get EFI and Grub2 to co-operate so I went for the Linux EFI
image route instead and eliminated the boot manager. It is not really
necessary unless you want to select from different kernels on the system.

The kernel must be compiled with the EFI settings:

CONFIG_EFI=y

CONFIG_RELOCATABLE=y

CONFIG_FB_EFI=y

CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y

CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION=y

CONFIG_EFI_VARS=y

CONFIG_EFI_STUB=y

and also the kernel parameters built-in:

CONFIG_CMDLINE="root=/dev/sda3 ro --verbose"

then use efibootmgr to register the new kernel image with the BIOS, so
it can be selected at boot time.

Geoff