On 11/16/2013 07:56 PM, Geoff Swan wrote:

Just so I understand. You got your kernel--3.10.10 (?)--to boot from the EFI partition? And without initrd or initramfs? The answer to this question is important to me.

Yes. 3.10.10. Selectable in the BIOS efi boot manager and boots directly, fast. No initrd or initramfs is needed, I built all the drivers required for the server hardware into the kernel. If you build modules required for boot then you have to make them available in the EFI partition too. I found it easier to build everything into the kernel.
Available in a directory on the EFI partition? This might be why many, many people use initramfs.

Thanks for the info, Geoff.

Dan