On 12/04/2013 04:02 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
>>    Powernow is for cpufreq (a good thing to use, IMHO, but not
>> mentioned in LFS) and not used anymore for K10 and newer CPUs (the
>> support is now in acpi-cpufreq).  From memory, the initial K10 was
>> the athlon64xII.  My git-foo isn't good enough to identify which
>> release that happened in, but the indications are that it was well
>> before 3.10.
>>
>>    SMP is the key.
>>
>>    If Dan is building only for that machine (and doesn't intend to use
>> the system to boot any replacement machine when the time comes) then
>> optimizing for the specific processor family, i.e. AMD x86_64
>> (Opteron/Athlon/Hammer/K8 : this is CONFIG_MK8 but works on K10 ;-)
>> might gain a little, as might Multi-Core Scheduler support.
> I hate to mention the obvious, but is CONFIG_X86_64_SMP set in the
> kernel?  Other possibilities:
>
> CONFIG_USE_GENERIC_SMP_HELPERS=y
> CONFIG_GENERIC_SMP_IDLE_THREAD=y
> CONFIG_SMP=y
> CONFIG_HAVE_TEXT_POKE_SMP=y

Mentioning the obvious always helps--the old "forest and trees." In this
case, however, even with <cat .config | grep X86_64_SMP> that particular
option doesn't seem to be present. But, I discovered much to my
embarassment that CONFIG_SMP was not set. Rats.

Ken, are K10 and A10 the same? I suppose I could set it and if I didn't
need it wouldn't hurt anything. I also suppose that I could "google
around" to see if they are separate families or are somehow related.
Some of the documentation I found today referred to "increased support"
for AMD processors, including A10. I don't know how to go to
'kernel.org' and slog through the patches. I wouldn't even know where to
start.

I was, however, really distracted by my thunderbird build, which was
ultimately successful, and maybe I'll be able to search more
systematically tomorrow. But someone could just tell me so I wouldn't
have to look. 8-)

Dan