On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 4:37 AM, thibaut noah <thibaut.n...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi pierre, both are virtual disks.
> I used both of them to create the lfs :
> /dev/sda for debian
> /dev/sdb for lfs
>
> And i know try to boot my virtual machine only with /dev/sdb which i
> assume will become /dev/sda since it will be the only disk available.
> So i am still in virtualbox.

>> On 29/06/2016 07:58, thibaut noah wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys, i managed to get to the end of the lfs build.
>>>
>>> The problem i have now is that my /boot is on a separate partition and
>>> unfortunatly the book doesn't tell me much for this situation.
>>> I don't get what is happening because i managed to install grub
>>> successfully on the disk and my fstab and grub.cfg looks ok to me.
>>>
>>> I would like to add that i created my lfs on virtualbox, my /dev/sda is
>>> my debian host and my /dev/sdb is lfs.
>>> I intented to just quit debian after the build and boot directly on the
>>> virtual disk where /dev/sdb is (so supposedly it should become /dev/sda? )
>>>
>> Hi Thibaut,
>>
>> Do I understand correctly that "/dev/sdb" is a virtual disk, and
>> "/dev/sda" a real disk? You cannot boot from a virtual disk, unless you use
>> virtualbox for that. But maybe this is what you mean.
>>
>> Pierre
>>
>> --
>>
>> Do not top post on this list.
>>
>> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>> A: Top-posting.
>> Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
>>

> --
>
> Do not top post on this list.
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

​Thibuat ... Did you ever get an answer to your problem?  I have
successfully booted an LFS setup like yours on WMVare.  The key info I
needed was from this <http://blog.iandreev.com/?p=729>post.

My more full answer appeared ​on the LFS Support List on July 8th under the
title "Cannot Boot LFS from /dev/sdb1 - Receiving Kernel Panic Error."  I
can send you that full answer as you require, just let me know.

v/r
Keith

--
Dr Keith Shomper