>> I have just finished running through a build of LFS 7.10-systemd and have
>> rebooted my computer. I am currently getting a kernel panic when the kernel
>> is booting. According to the messages on the screen (which I can try and
>> transcribe if anyone needs them), it looks like the kernel cannot locate my
>> ‘/’ partition on the USB hard disk, and tells me that I need to correct my
>> ‘root=’ line in the bootloader configuration to one of the partitions on the
>> internal HD. It seems like the kernel is not detecting the USB disk at all.
>
>You need to enable built-in support for USB 3.0 in the kernel to load the
>system. You could also use a initial ramdisk but that for me is a hassle. It's
>better to have it built in. Make defconfig does not enable usb 3.0 by default.
>This is based on my personal experience playing with source made distros made
>by me before I started to follow LFS.

Thanks Michele. I actually noticed this just yesterday after several
attempts at booting. I felt a little stupid that I’d missed it!
Unfortunately that doesn’t seem to have made a difference, but it was
certainly worth confirming!

>Try adding rootdelay=10 to the kernel command line to give the kernel time to
>detect the usb drive.
>
> -- Bruce

Thanks Bruce. I gave that a go. It delayed the boot and I could see
some of the other USB devices being detected (such as the mouse,
keyboard and an attached printer) as it booted. Unfortunately the part
where the error begins scrolls off the top of the screen before I can
read it. Is it possible to attach a photo? I’ll see if I can…
…it seems not…