On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 11:22:23 +0200
Frans de Boer <fr...@fransdb.nl> wrote:

> Alas, keeping debugging symbols did not work. I still get the message
> "no debug symbols found" and as a reaction to the bt command "no stack".

  Frans,

You will have to show us the commands you used so we can understand
what you did.

As per

did you obtain a systemd.coredump file?

You may have to alter some of the systemd boot parameters to be able
to get more useful information:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Systemd_problems
https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Debugging/

The latter link shows how to debug systemd boot problems.

Some of the more relevant systemd boot parameters (to be added to
the kernel command line of your boot loader) mentioned include:

systemd.log_level=debug
systemd.dump_core=true
systemd.crash_shell=true

The first one should give you more information on the console.
The last one should be able to get you a shell after systemd crashes.
There will be a 10 second delay from the crash till the shell appears.

If you can't get a shell via systemd, then you can try booting to init
directly and then try starting systemd manually (to see if it crashes).
You should be able to get a core dump and run gdb on it in this way.
You will also have to manually remount the / filesystem as read/write:

init=/bin/sh
mount -o remount,rw /
exec /usr/lib/systemd/systemd

   Cheers,