On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 01:49:49PM -0700, JD wrote:

Please do not top-post.

> 1. If the kernel does not have the required driver,
> how did LFS end up on the drive?

As Bruce has already answered.

> 2. Just exactly what driver are you referring to?
>     "Driver" is a generic term which is used to to refer to different
> interfaces in the kernel.
> YOU claim that  to say "re-install" is a strange piece of advice.
> I, actually, everyone, would love to hear from you just exactly which
> driver the OP is missing.

People have already made suggestions - I do not use vmware, but
there were suggestions about that.

From a normal distro system which has been used to build LFS, in
chroot 'lsmod' will show which modules are currently loaded.  I
assume that a distro running on vmware will do the same.

So as a first step, all of those need to be available in the kernel.
For things like network devices, modules should be fine in LFS. But
for the disk drivers, and the filesystem used on the LFS partition,
they need to be built-in, not modules, because we do not use an
initrd.

Later, it is often possible to slim-down a kernel config by removing
items which seem unnecessary (but obviously, keep the existing
working kernel when trying to do that, and use a different version
for the experiments).

So, for the filesystem - ext4 (unless the builder used something
else).

For the disk drives - it depends very much on the motherboard and
(on some motherboards) which port is used for the disk.  On the
machine where I'm writing this I have

CONFIG_ATA=y
CONFIG_ATA_VERBOSE_ERROR=y
CONFIG_ATA_ACPI=y

CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y

On some other machines I have added, variously,

CONFIG_SATA_PMP=y
CONFIG_SATA_INIC162X=y
CONFIG_SATA_ACARD_AHCI=y
CONFIG_ATA_SFF=y
CONFIG_ATA_BMDMA=y
CONFIG_ATA_PIIX=y
CONFIG_PATA_AMD=y
CONFIG_PATA_ATIIXP=y

But for a virtual machine I assume that the disk driver is
determined by the VM not by the underlying hardware.

ĸen
--
I'm saving up 22 shillings and 10 pence (almost a pound!) per week to
buy an ARM-13.