---------- Original Message ----------
From: "geist1...@juno.com" <geist1...@juno.com>
To: lfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org
Subject: Re: [lfs-support] Gcc Compiling Problem in 32 bit
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 22:36:39 GMT

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "geist1...@juno.com" <geist1...@juno.com>
To: lfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 22:13:25 GMT

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Paul Rogers" <paulgrog...@fastmail.fm>
To: lfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 14:31:45 -0700

> Paul, Thank You for Your Patience..
>
> I Found the Disk, it took some time searching thru all of the CD/DVD's
> that I have it is Knoppix 6.71.. I also found the manual for it..

That MIGHT work for building LFS-6.x, or might not.  Run the checks from Ch. 4
of the book.

> But, first, I will try and do as You have said.. Maybe I can find a
> slackware version for kernel 2.6.xx..

You're not doing that.  What I wrote was use the LFS- LiveCD or, failing that,
Knoppix-5.x for your host.  You wrote that you downloaded Knoppix-5, but didn't
burn it properly, so it wouldn't boot.  It WILL boot if you burn it properly,
so stop what you're doing and learn how to burn an "image".

You still don't understand the section in the book that instructs you to use
exactly what's IN the book, not whatever you have or want.  There are explicit
and implicit dependencies.  Interchangable parts is not a part of Linux
systems, except in limited circumstances.  Branching out on your own is called
"Dependency Hell" for good reason.  FBBG!  You've been told this several times.

--
Paul Rogers
paulgrog...@fastmail.fm

Paul,

You're not doing that.  What I wrote was use the LFS- LiveCD or, failing that,
Knoppix-5.x for your host.  You wrote that you downloaded Knoppix-5, but didn't
burn it properly, so it wouldn't boot.  It WILL boot if you burn it properly,
so stop what you're doing and learn how to burn an "image".

When I did burn the Image, I did it Exactly like I had done for all of the
other cd's/dvd's that I had burned, I had burned about 50 DVD's for Linux Mint
and Ubuntu..

You still don't understand the section in the book that instructs you to use
exactly what's IN the book, not whatever you have or want.  There are explicit
and implicit dependencies.  Interchangable parts is not a part of Linux
systems, except in limited circumstances.  Branching out on your own is called
"Dependency Hell" for good reason.  FBBG!  You've been told this several times.

I wasn't trying to mix and match, but find something that would work on the
586..

You told me to first find what possible defects the drive has , then we can see
if Linux Mint would then work, ( but, if it couldn't I thought since Slackware
booted on the 586, that if I found a later version of it, it would be a
suitable substitute)..
Yes, what I have in Linux Mint 5 meets all of the requirements for building
Linux From Scratch..

You also told me that I might not be able to use Linux Mint 5, because it was
too late of a version and would not work on the 586 code, Maybe..

Which was another reason I was thinking of using it, if I could find a later
version than I have..

I have the LFS- LiveCD, on CD/DVD but, I was having trouble using it, like I
would with Mint, Maybe, because it was so much different that what I am used
to, I was having trouble making it do what was needed done..

Thank You for Your Help and suggestions..

THANK YOU Marty

P. S., the other day I went to the Linux Mint forum, asking for Linux Mint ver
4, but, so far nothing..

I had tried Ubuntu 4.10, and 5.10 and 6.10, but it was having similar problems
that Mint had, but, with the new Information You gave me to use mke2fs-c, that
may solve my Host problem, once I get past the Problem Drive.. Then I can find
a suitable Host for Linux From Scratch 6.0 to 6.1 that nearly matches it and
that meets the Requirements for Host and will run on the 586..

Marty

P.P.S.,

Also, Before when I first was proposing to do a LFS on the 586, I proposed to
do it on the Dell, and You told me it wouldn't work, so I said OK, BUT, THEN,
when I still wanted to do LFS on the Dell, BUT, NOT for the 586, You still
thought I was going to use it on the 586, (or so it would seem) but, I was only
wanting to do it on the Dell at that time for the Experience of making it all
of the way thru the building process of building a LFS system.. But, not for
the 586, but, for getting to know what I would be running into, so that when I
did do a 586 build, I would kind of know what I was doing / getting into..

Marty