> Paul,
>
> first, well-spotted that ext4 is inappropriate for such old kernels
> - I had completely overlooked that.
>
> But a 2.6 kernel (if that is what that old knoppix version is
> offering) should support ext3.  A quick look at wikipedia (as
> always, "it might be accurate, or else someone with an agenda might
> have updated it") suggests that ext3 was mainlined in 2.4.15.

ext2 will always work with this old kit.  Afterwards it's trivial to upgrade to
ext3, once everything is built, tested, backed-up, and stable.  "One step at a
time!"

> Hi Paul and Everyone;
>
> I am sorry that I am upsetting You, but, I don't always remember when
> everything came out, I know that the Kernel will be a 2.6 something..

It takes a great deal to anger me.  My emotions are very well controlled.

However, I've critiqued your apparent lack of certainty and clarity at least a
couple times, maybe more, but it never seems to change.  Who's going to suffer
from it?  Not me, but you will--my half-century of working with computers make
me quite certain of that.

>> 3) download and burn a Knoppix-5.x LIVE iso,
>

> I can download that, somewhere I have a Knoppix Disk, but, I am not
> sure what version it is, so I will Download it..

"Somewhere"?  "not sure what version"?  QED.

If you're going to build LFS successfully you're going to haveto change how you
work.

> I have downloaded Knoppix 5.1.1, but I couldn't get it to boot, it says
> no boot record..

You need an "image" file and you don't burn it as a file, as you do most
things.  There's a different process, much like "dd".

> BUT, while cleaning in my room, I found a four CD set of Slackware 4.0,
> with a Kernel of 2.2.6..

If you can boot it and get a shell...

> Right now it is Checking and Formatting the Hard Drive on the 586,
> running on the 586
>
> File type is ext2 with 1K blocks and 1 inode per 1024 bytes..
>
> I hope that this is about what You would be OK with for checking out
> the Hard Drive..

Maybe.  You used "mke2fs -c ..."?  A "normal" mke2fs doesn't do a surface scan,
and since that drive may be bad, you need every sector checked.

> Also, from what I can see (so far) this might work for my Host, or is
> it too old of a Kernel to make this work..

What does the book say?

--
Paul Rogers
paulgrog...@fastmail.fm