True - it would be useful for a journalist to make some enquiries as to the
outcome of that investigation. My guess would be nothing.

It's also interesting that the article says 14 SG9000s made their way to Syria
- and there are 8 being used in that single rack.

That means 3/4 chassis are either a) being held as spares, which would be
possible but slightly strange in normal circumstances, but I guess these are
not normal circumstances, b) lost/faulty/out-of-service, or c) being used in
some other location.

Bernard

On 1 Dec 2012, at 20:11, Jillian C. York wrote:

> Oh, I'm with you - I just wanted to send it along in case there were folks
> who hadn't heard about it.
>
> On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Bernard Tyers <ei8...@ei8fdb.org> wrote:
> And reading that article now, I wonder what ever happened to that "internal
> investigation" Blue coat were running.
>
> I also wonder what happened with that Dubai distributor?
>
> Something tells me they're still doing business.
>
> Restrictions make no difference in these cases when you have one company who
> will provide a  "partner" service provider who will then provide a service to
> the persona non grata, possibly or possibly not with the knowledge of the
> original company.
>
> Bernard
>

> Connected by Motorola
>

> "Jillian C. York" <jilliancy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203687504577001911398596328.html
>
> Blue Coat Systems Inc. of Sunnyvale, Calif., says it shipped the Internet
> "filtering" devices to Dubai late last year, believing they were destined for
> a department of the Iraqi government. However, the devices—which can block
> websites or record when people visit them—made their way to Syria, a country
> subject to strict U.S. trade embargoes.
>
> On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Rafal Rohozinski <r.rohozin...@psiphon.ca>
> wrote:
> This pic has just been posted on twitter.  It was picked up by the Secdev
> Syria Operation Group. It is allegeldy a picture of internet censorship
> hardware taken inside a telecom hub (exchange) in Damascus,
> http://twitter.com/AmaraaBaghdad/status/274919986399703040/photo/1
>
> It looks like the ProxySG 9000 ( http://www.bluecoat.com/products/proxysg)
>
> Rafal

> US: +1-857-891-4244 | NL: +31-657086088
> site:  jilliancyork.com | twitter: @jilliancyork
>
> "We must not be afraid of dreaming the seemingly impossible if we want the
> seemingly impossible to become a reality" - Vaclav Havel

> US: +1-857-891-4244 | NL: +31-657086088
> site:  jilliancyork.com | twitter: @jilliancyork
>
> "We must not be afraid of dreaming the seemingly impossible if we want the
> seemingly impossible to become a reality" - Vaclav Havel

Bernard / bluboxthief / ei8fdb

IO91XM / www.ei8fdb.org