This is a U.S. government-sponsored event occurring in a country where
activists were recently responsible for the overthrow of a despotic regime.
These activists are vested in protecting their identity and personal
information from any government in order to avoid (at the very least)
profiling. My concern is that USAID may have coerced an OpenITP activist
training event in order to gather personal information on Tunisian activists
who recently were responsible for overthrowing a Middle Eastern government.

I have been told that USAID insisted that OpenITP gather identifying
information on every attendee. I demand that OpenITP immediately publish a blog
post clarifying:
1. Why this rule was established,
2. What information was collected,
3. How that information was collected,
4. How the authenticity of that information was verified,
5. Who suggested this rule,
6. Who enforced this rule,
7. Who currently holds the personal information of Tunisian activists.

Until such a blog post is published I will be discouraging all activists in
Lebanon and the Middle East from working with OpenITP and will be personally
withdrawing all my support and endorsement of this organization.

NK