Thanks Bert for discussing this topic. I think your description of the
Great Firewall of China as the "21st century version of the Berlin Wall of
the Cold War" is spot on. I would be very happy to see more of the talented
people subscribing to Liberation Tech discussing how to deal with online
censorship in China.

I am the founder of GreatFire.org, a website that monitors what is censored
on the Chinese Internet and how. I have also started FreeWeibo.com, an
uncensored and anonymous alternative to the official Sina Weibo search, and
Unblock.cn.com, a service that can unblock websites currently blocked in
China. All of these projects are run by a small team of volunteers and we
have no external funding. Contributions, either in terms of money or
developer time, are much needed and appreciated. Bizarrely, several
organizations that fund projects like ours explicitly do not fund anything
China-related.

I don't have any evidence that “the Chinese are exporting the GFW". If
somebody can provide it, it would be interesting. Chinese censorship is
affecting users outside of China, for example if they use Skype and the
other user is using the Tom version of Skype (often unknowingly) or if they
use the now fast-growing WeChat app.

But regardless of how many users outside of China are affected, obviously
everybody inside China is - "22% of the world" as Bert said. A lot of work
is required to change this. Every initiative is welcome.

That's the big picture. I also have some detailed questions/comments
regarding Berts message:

   - You seem to be using Gmail. If so, the GFW can't stop the delivery of
   individual emails. The traffic is all encrypted. If Google says the email
   has been sent, it has been sent in the same sense as if you had accessed it
   from the US. If LibTech doesn't receive it properly, something else is to
   blame (not that I don't like to blame the GFW, I do, a lot).
   - There was indeed news recently that VPNs in China could be illegal.
   But as far as I've understood it, it refers to the companies providing VPN
   services, not individual users. See
   http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/750158.shtml. It was quite an absurd
   idea. Now, whether or not using a VPN is legal doesn't determine that much.
   It's still very possible for individual VPN users to be harassed. China
   doesn't have rule of law.
   - On the development of corporate vs private Internet users, with
   different kinds of access, I think it's worth noting that many universities
   already provide connections that are even more restricted than the general
   ones.
   - Bert, when you say that you are "one of many foreigners that have been
   harassed and checked via the Internet", I'd be very interested to know in
   what way. You may not want to share this info, of course. Or you can email
   me privately if that's more suitable.

Martin Johnson
Founder
https://GreatFire.org - Monitoring Online Censorship In China.