I get the same error on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. It will run when Windows
XP is selected under Compatibility mode.   I had the same issue with other
languages.  This is logged in the event viewer when it doesn't run as-is:

Faulting application name: firefox.exe, version: 17.0.6.0
Faulting module name: d2d1.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16492
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Faulting application path: C:\XXXXXX\Tor
Browser\FirefoxPortable\App\Firefox\firefox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\d2d1.dll

Kody