Patrick Mylund Nielsen:
> If it's so easy, go ahead and produce a more secure alternative that people
> will use. Talking about how exceedingly easy it is in Internet forums
> doesn't contribute much.

I'm not sure if you're away but Maxim did exactly this many years ago.
He wrote a system called cables:

  http://dee.su/cables

What I hear from you is a common idea: it is the idea is that people who
don't build those systems don't have a right to voice negative or
critical views.

When we degrade others for their criticisms by suggesting that they only
get to speak if they've met some arbitrary bar for entry is
dis-empowering. I know that we all do this but perhaps it isn't the best
way to move forward?

While I think Maxim is viewed as exceedingly harsh in how he writes, I
think that your response is really the wrong way to deal with him. We
should consider that his cultural background is different and that as
far as I understand it, he isn't a native english speaker. Between the
two things, perhaps we might just ask him to be nicer?

Allow me to try a different tactic:

Hey - Maxim - people appreciate what you have to say but when you say it
in a way that they perceive harshly, they can't hear your pretty
reasonable advice. I think you might care about this - albeit moderately
- still, I think you'd reach a lot of people if they understood it in a
different frame. Probably people don't understand that you're a one man
powerhouse of anonymity and security projects (cables, Liberté Linux,
etc), they probably stop thinking when they feel insulted or that you've
insulted someone else. :(

All the best,
Jacob