"How will an anarchic society stop violence from breeding
violence?"
1) By eliminating the most powerful force for (breeding) violence
in the world.
2) By understanding why gov is the above.
3) By unhindered focus on the one thing that encourages
cooperation more than violence.
4) By understanding why free-trade is the above.

The greatest of enemies will shake hands at the prospect of
making a buck or two. It's all about the better incentive.

"It seems to me you need one power, say a federal government,
capable of being overthrown..."
"One power" immediately contradicts itself with "capable of being
overthrown". Thinking gov can be both is the fallacy at issue.
Since we are talking about monopolistic power (not derived from
free-market profit), then by definition it can not also be
"overthrown" or "held".

It's fallacious to claim that said power is needed to protect the
free-market playing field; since it will naturally/consistently
devolve into a power for RIGGING the playing field.

The greatest force for keeping people honest is free-market
capitalism profit. The greatest force for corruption and violence
is non-capitalistic profit.

----------------------------------

How will an anarchic society stop violence from breeding
violence?

It seems to me you need one power, say a federal government,
capable of
being overthrown by an effort of the whole people, but stronger
than any
constituent group.  That way, you can have a single system of
jurisprudence capable of settling matters in a constituted
fashion.  If
disputants are more evenly matched with regard to the mediator,
the
temptation to resort to violence is greater, because success is
more
likely.  Of course, such a federal government must be held to a
minimum
of functions, lest it become a party to disputes itself.

Chris