On 28-Dec-04, Frank Reichert wrote:

 FR> So, you are "Shadow"!  Up until just now, I believed that
 FR> 'Shadow' was Daniel Frackwell out of southern Idaho, and have
 FR> made the blunder unknowingly of addressing you as "Daniel" or
 FR> "Dan".

 FR> That's what happens when you don't sign your own posts using your
 FR> own name.

Well, I did, on several occasions... you must have been tired, another old
FidoNet habit, late-night postings. :)

 FR> Then, I finally got around to upgrading from the XT level to a
 FR> 386 machine and buying a dynamite modem that could receive and
 FR> transmit at 14,000 baud's per second!  WOW!  I believed at THAT time,
 FR> that technology couldn't get much better than this. ...

Same here. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

 FR> ... The XT machine I bought had no hard drive at all, as I mentioned
 FR> above, ...

I was pretty sure the original IBM PC came with no hard drive, and maybe 64k
of RAM. Wasn't sure about the XT.

Today there are people who believe that IBM *invented* the desktop computer.

 s>> Remember Rodger from the CDC in Atlanta? What a character! As was John
 s>> King.

 FR> Yes. And THAT is very interesting. Roger seemed to vanish
 FR> suddenly. Dave later told me he had medical problems.  Roger came
 FR> back about a year later to disappear again, and I haven't heard
 FR> from him since....

Last I remember, Roger was on the verge of retiring, or was asked to retire.

 FR> ... John King was extremely different.

 FR> John and I were entirely adversarial for a good many years....

All that JK and I agreed upon was the necessity of rich cigars and fine jazz,
and that was more than enough for me. His tales of pub-crawling from jazz
club to jazz club left me green with envy.

 FR> I'll never forget one of my first visits at John's home.  He
 FR> introduced me to the 'room where it all happened', the
 FR> conversations in cyber space in those early years.  Yes, the same
 FR> XT machine with dual floppy 360 megs of storage space apiece,...

I'm sure you meant 360 kilobytes on those floppies, the big 5 1/4" dudes,
right?

When my co-op bought its first computer, (a North Star, formerly Kentucky
Fried Computers) they took my advice to use the CPM operating system and
sprung for the 5 meg hard drive. That puppy sat inside a case the size of a
portable typewriter, but it held as much data as 50+ of the old floppies that
held 90k each. That was high flyin' in them days.

If only our bodies improved over time like our toys do.....