Dave Laird <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Although I've been too preoccupied with business this week to contribute
>much to this discussion of the Non-Aggressive Principle, I have a small
>bit of time this morning, and I admit to a fascination with the discussion
>about fraud and force. One of the clinical descriptions I have heard about
>the technical definition of aggression is it include any components of
>"malice of forethought", a term which implies that anyone holds malicious
>thoughts about anyone in *advance* of the commission of a crime.

I think you mean "malice aforethought".

>This adds an extra layer which needs to be considered carefully when
>stating that fraud is not a violation of the Non-Aggressive Principles,
>because I submit nearly all fraud contains elements of malice of
>forethought. There is the component present in the commission of
>committing a fraudulent act that you are *planning* to commit a malicious
>act against another party in *advance* of when the crime of fraud actually
>occurs. If nothing else, such malice of forethought constitutes malicious
>forethought, which in my opinion, qualifies it as an aggressive act
>against another, because of the advance nature of most frauds.

>Of course, in such heady semantic discussions, your results, of course,
>may differ.
>--
I was hoping not to get sucked in to this, but now I can't resist.  Not all
wrongs are malicious.  You might steal from someone just because you want
it, not because you intend any ill to the victim.  If you could get it just
as easily without taking it away from the victim, you would, unless your
action was truly malicious.  The harm is a byproduct of your action, not
your intention.

Similarly, you might accidentally harm someone by an act you didn't even
intend, such as stepping on someone's foot.  You might do it maliciously or
accidentally, but the person's foot gets stepped on.

In Your Sly Tribe,
Robert