Good evening again, Doris!

Doris Gordon wrote to God, who knows, who?...

Someone, probably, although I'm not really sure, maybe Tim Bedding
wrote:
> > Is "initiation of force" really the right language?

To which, you replied:
> = Yes it is, but one should add to it "or fraud" for clarity.  The standard
> version of the Non-Aggression Principle includes both "force" and "fraud."

I believe it needs to be said here somewhere, before this conversation
really gets too convoluted, that 'fraud' and 'initiation of force' are
usually compatible instances, but probably not always so.

In keeping with normal Libertarian ideals, 'fraud' is in a real sense
using force to accomplish something in which might otherwise be
considered a normal practice of social intercourse.  The Libertarian
Party is a segment in American politics that arises when we discuss
such things as WHAT government ought to really have a 'right' to do,
that is, what is normally appropriately delegated 'by the people' to
rightfully defend and protect themselves.

The bottom line is simply this:  We always have a right, as
individuals, to defend ourselves against fraud.  In short, we have the
right to defend ourselves when someone lies to us, gives false
representation, and steals our money, or property, by false pretences.

I know, and I understand, it is difficult sometimes to attribute this
to aggression, or force, but behind such pretexts is usually the idea
that fraud and force are somehow related to each other in such a way
that one cannot exist unless the other perquisite exists.

I would even be so bold tonight to suggest that the current regime in
office is using deception and fraud as a pretext toward suggesting we
need to have our wealth and property confiscated to support US
military aggression against Iraq and other Islamic states.  I know
this is very sensitive and challenges emotionally ideals, but
nevertheless, I believe it is entirely true.

I suggest to you, and others here, that fraud often is accomplished
under the guise and use of force.  It is usually not common to
understand 'fraud' as anything not accompanying the use of force.

To be honest here, the Libertarian Party does separate fraud, and the
use of force, as both unacceptable principles upon which they don't
necessarily always correspond.  But 'fraud' is ALWAYS aggression
against someone, whether individuals, or society as a whole.

So, I don't necessarily see a giant of a problem here.  Fraud promises
things and conditions that really don't exist.  In short, that defines
the Libertarian Party's principle of opposing the use of 'false'
force, to accomplish political, social or economic ends.

Kindest regards,
Frank

    Liberty Northwest Home Page:  http://www.liberty-northwest.org
           Admin matters:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    ...Liberty is never an option... only a condition to be lost