Good evening, Frank...

Frank Gilliland wrote:

> Sure it does. You remember Megan's law? The Amber Alert system? The
> changes in DUI laws that were due primarily to the actions of MADD?
> Those are just a few I remember offhand, but I'm sure there are plenty
> of other examples that I've never even heard about.

Actually, I was *impressed* with how the Amber Alert System worked during
the Groene kidnapping case, but ultimately it wasn't the Amber Alerts that
resulted in the safe return of Shannon Groene to her dad. It was her
extended family, who saw to it that posters appeared in most public places
in Idaho that resulted in the capture of the sick son-of-a-bitch
responsible for four deaths and sexual depredations too disgusting to
imagine.

On the other hand, despite all the hoopla put out by Mothers Against Drunk
Drivers, the carnage of wrecked automobiles continues every holiday,
including last July Fourth. However, I'll concede no amount of work on my,
or anyone else's part, is liable ever to end drunks hopping behind the
wheel of their cars and killing other people.

> I think you missed the point: sexual predators don't limit their
> territories to their own neighborhoods. Even if forcing them to live
> somewhere else -did- reduce the risk of crime in your neighborhood, it
> would consequently -increase- the risk to some -other- neighborhood. I

I agree, and I truly hope that other neighborhoods will follow the example
that is being created for them. They *have* to take action of some kind,
because, in the absence of action, they will be vulnerable to the same
types of actions as took place in Idaho.

I'll concede there are a lot of flaws in my proposal; in fact, it has more
flaws than it has solutions, but it is a first step toward declaring Level
III Sexual Offenders who are apt to reoffend as persons without standing,
and that society, at large, will need to make arrangements for their
housing in the future in a safe, secure manner, but NOT in neighborhoods
where children reside.

> don't think you mean to suggest that it's ok for these animals to
> molest and kill children just as long as they don't do it in your own
> backyard, but that's essentially what you are saying.

In the beginning, yes, that is what I am saying, since I am protecting my
own neighborhood. However, others will realize they have the same rights
and responsibilities, one would hope.

> Intimidating landlords to conform to your will is -not- all you can
> do. The First Amendment of the US Constitution guarantees you the
> right "to petition the Government for a redress of grievances". It

Well, I have a pretty long list of grievances surrounding child abuse and
Level III Sex Offenders whose lives are not being tracked by the current
system. Since I also hold public officials *personally* responsible for
their behavior, let's start with the removal of the head of the Justice
Department and the speedy assignment of someone in charge who will
immediately remove Level III Offenders judged by the courts as liable to
offend again from the public, and put in a place where they can hurt no
one else.

Do you really think that the bureaucracy in power would ever support such
a move? I have absolutely no faith at all they ever will, hence I am
protecting my neighborhood first.

> doesn't work all the time, but it does work when the issue is as
> important as this one. What congressman would dare vote against a bill
> that requires longer and stronger penalties for sexual predators? If

Actually, there are a number of members of congress who are working their
mouths piously along those lines, yes. However, what they are proposing is
NOT solving the problem, that being Level III offender's access to
children must be *terminated* NOW. Enough is enough.

Among the proposals are:

1. Putting GPS ankle bracelets on Level III Sex Offenders. If *I* can
figure out how to effectively alter the chips on a GPS unit, so can
others. Not to mention, it does little to no good to have a GPS ankle
bracelet if the monitoring system is not *absolutely* foolproof.

2. One strike you're out. Under this proposal, anyone judged by the courts
as being a Level III offender apt to reoffend will be sentenced to life
imprisonment with no chance of parole. This might work, but all you have
to do is take the number of Level III offenders nationally and do the math
yourself to see how incredible the costs for such a system would be.

No one has dared to mention castration, despite the fact it, of all the
systems that have been tried throughout history, seemed to have had a true
effect on sexual predators. Another idea, the "Devil's Island" concept, of
a designed community built solely for Level III offenders, might be
cheaper than traditional incarceration.

> you want to educate the public then let them know that they can fix
> the -source- of the problem.

I've tried to fix the sources of various problems in my life, and had
little to no results. My best and most durable solution is when I fix
something on my own initiative, inevitably taking a few like-minded
citizens with me as I go.

However, I am open to any ideas that side-steps the current bureaucracy in
place, as it has proven itself to be unworthy of trust, and dysfunctional.

Dave
--
Dave Laird ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
The Used Kharma Lot / The Phoenix Project

An automatic & random thought For the Minute:
Lonely is a man without love.
                -- Englebert Humperdinck