Good evening, everyone...

Although there isn't much being said about it in the news media, not even
on CNN, through very verifiable channels I learned several things this
evening that bode well for the folks of Louisiana, Mississippi and
associated areas.

1. As of 4:55 PM EST this afternoon, the power transmission grid has been
restored to the good-sized areas of New Orleans and Biloxi. This does not
mean, nor should it imply, that everyone has power, but at least most of
the substations now have the capability to restore power to their
customers.

2. The primary telephone switch rooms, both in Hattiesburg, New Orleans
and Biloxi are once more functional. It may be as much as weeks or even
months before telephone service is restored to everyone in the impact
area, but at least now when you call area code 228 you get a fast busy
instead of a recorded message that your call cannot be completed. Progress
never was so sweet as hearing a fast busy. 8-)

3. One of the main TV stations in Baton Rouge returned full-time to the
airwaves this afternoon, as well as the US Coast Guard shortwave maritime
station at the mouth of the Mississippi, no mean feat in and of itself, as
the original building was washed completely away during the first tidal
surge. There were several shortwave and FM repeaters which also appeared
to undergoing some kind of testing just before 8:00 PM EST, so most of the
infrastructure, including police and emergency band radios could be
functional by this time tomorrow.

>From all the above, largely gleaned from listening to shortwave broadcasts
and talking to various sources outside the worst damage areas, I gather
that one of the biggest miracles to take place has been the restoration of
telecommunications in such a short period of time. I gather that all kinds
of people from within the telecommunications industry are flooding the
area eager to help with the restoral.

But we never hear about these folks. All we hear is about the job FEMA is
purportedly doing. ;-(

Dave
--
Dave Laird ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
The Used Kharma Lot / The Phoenix Project

An automatic & random thought For the Minute:
Getting the job done is no excuse for not following the rules.

Corollary:
        Following the rules will not get the job done.