https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=173684

--- Comment #8 from ady <[email protected]> ---
(In reply to LeroyG from comment #7)
> (In reply to ady from comment #6)
> > > > If you change the current behavior you would see a difference.
> > 
> > Open
> > <https://help.libreoffice.org/latest/en-US/text/shared/optionen/01060300.
> > html> and search for "Position cell reference with selection".
> Yes, that's the behavior; but I'm not sure if this changes anything here.

IIUC, you seem to be requesting that, whichever the active cell and whichever
the selected area, the active cell should be always considered as being part of
the selection. That setting could change the cell that is considered as the
active cell under some circumstances.


> 
> > I am not convinced that something needs to be modified
> So, we could leave this bug resolved as wontfix. Would you agree?

I am not going to set it as wontfix, but I disagree with the request, because
of practical reasons.

Under most typical situations, the affected area (after applying whichever
action the user wants to apply to the selected area) is working as expected. A
developer would have to investigate every possible situation (e.g. selecting
with mouse, with keyboard, a mix of both, on multiple areas, on headers,
changing direction, adding...), applying different possible actions /
operations (such as cell's properties, or a Find_and_Replace, or...), and
reviewing the code in order to always include the active cell (or modify which
precise cell is considered as active) without getting counterproductive
negative effects. I don't know whether the resulting effective difference would
be worth the effort / resources.

If such resources / developer's time are not invested in this (and instead is
invested in something else), are there critical consequences? Are there
workarounds? Can a user obtain the desired result, perhaps with some additional
minimal time invested by the user in order to overcome the difference between
the current behavior against the ideal one?


> 
> At least the behavior stay documented.

I agree. If at some point in time some developer would like to tackle this
issue, or if the behavior happens to seriously have an effect on something
important / critical, then the report would be here as a starting point.

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are the assignee for the bug.

Reply via email to