Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 08:18:54 -0700
From: TechnoDragon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Busted Libretto?

>>      My libretto 70ct just had it's screen die last week.
>>      The screen that died is a Sharp LQ61D133.
>
>Interesting that you know the screen's name, number and munufacturer.
>This list has had numerous notes about 50ct and now 70 screens dying.
>There has to be a way to get at these things more inexpensively than
>through Toshiba although I've struck out badly in my research.
>Is there a smarter person than me who can track down this L@61D133??????????

        I believe that the screens are kinda a custom job contracted by Toshiba.
Toshiba went to Sharp and asked if they had any screens that met the
following specs. Sharp said that they didn't have those specs in one unit,
but could make them. Toshiba asked if a few million could be made. Sharp
eagirly agreed. And the LQ61D133 was born, not availiable from Sharp, but
still availiable for $500.
        All laptop screens cost this much. I had the screen in a 386 laptop die
and went to Sanyo to see how much a replacement 9.5" monochrome screen was.
$450 Yup, that's right, a laptop I paid $25 for has a screen which costs
$450 brand new.
        This is the sad thing about laptop screens, they usually cost more than
the laptop themselves. ike on those laptops that have 14" screens that run
to 1cm from the screens edges and are thinner than 1cm. Ouch if those
break, might as well toss the whole thing in the trash.
        All laptop screens (usually ones that do 640x480 or more) seem to cost
$450 or more new, reguardless of how antiquated a system they came out of,
or how antiquated a display they are.

        I did find a guy who knew how to swap parts from two screens and make one
single good screen. The cost, $499.95, shipping allready included.
        This got me thinking, mabyee there's a way to refurbish these screens and
fix them up. Take a screen with cracked glass from a user's son or pet
trying to surf the internet unsupervised, and one with a chip that blew and
swap some SMT parts. Presto, a perfectly working screen.
        But I have not the experience nor the equipment to do this. :( I'm hoping
that someone on the list can, or knows someone who can, or at least knows
someone who knows someone who can do that. And, I'm hoping to spend $150,
or less, on a screen.

        I believe that I know why these things die so readily. Upon powerup
there's a spike of power sent to teh screen. (the side effect is a few
solid black likes appearing that fade sway to the sides in a sec or two
after the screen is powered up) It seems that the screen has insufficient
protection (because of a cheap screen design or cheap mboard design that
sends this spike in the first place) and you stand a 1/1000 or so chance of
having it blow whenever it's turned on, goes out of sleep mode, have the
power on and simply close the display then re-open it, etc.
        It's shame really that such a fine little machine was designed with this
philosophy: (I heard it from a repair guy I was talking to) "These
librettos weren't designed really to be repaired. They were designed as
disposable systems, when they die, you toss them into the trash. This is
why I don't have any parts for it."

        Again, what a shame.

|       the ·TechnoDragon·       |
|       [EMAIL PROTECTED]        |