Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:57:08 EDT
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re:  New Libretto 100CT owner

>Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:09:21 -0400
>From: Cray Drygu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: New Libretto 100CT owner
>Is there a CD drive that's reccomended for use with this, or can I pretty
much
>pick anything?

EXP CD devices work quite well (I think www.expnet.com), U can order them
directly form their Website. But there are cheaper options f.e. Panasonic
(check www.silverace.com/libretto). U should try any other device with your
Libby before buying because some devices tend no to get any operating power
from the Libretto-PCMCIA-slot. First try, then buy. The EXP-devices work for
sure (also in DOS mode).

> >Also, I'm thinking of upgrading the 2.1gb hard drive.  I'm aware of the
> >BIOS's 8.1gb limitation, but that's okay with me (for now, at least,
> >especially on a 166mhz machine).

It might be a problem to get such a small drive at a competetive price. It's
no problem to use a bigger drive by installing the IBM-diskmanager. But don't
forget to leave the hibernation-space right before the 8.1 GB barrier.

>Any advice on driver's I'll need when
> >installing the new one?  Ones for the CD and floppy won't be an issue right
> >away, since I plan on plugging the hard drive into my desktop, making it
> >bootable, and copying the contents of the Windows CD to it.  Then I can
> >just stick it in the Libretto and install that way.  However, I'll
> >eventually need drivers for the floppy, mouse, display, and so on.

Actually nothing special... check the www.silverace.com/libretto, there
should be a link for the graphic-drivers and the hairy-light bulb power
utilities...
The only thing you actually NEED is the graphic driver. Don't hesitate to
install CPUidle or something similar even when the L100 is not overclocked.
It always helps to keep it cool and minimize the power drain.
For the floppy you only need a special driver if you want it to operate in
32-bit mode.
If you don't want to lose anything, connect both drives to the desktop PC and
copy the whole drive...

Regards

Olaf