Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 06:34:40 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [LIB] TDK Digital Music Card 9000

>Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 13:54:54 +0800
>From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>stereo via the tape deck.  It's noticeably flatter than playing a CD on my
>car stereo, but OK for my tastes.
> >>
> >>How readable do you people find the Libby's screen in such a situation?
>(Or is the libby's screen not used and you use some form of remote?)

Glasses sonny! :-)  Ones that sit down on the old schnozz...

> >At night it's great of course... but operating the Libby moving in a
>car/truck ought to be illegal.  A long time ago I saw a remote interface
>for WinAmp being sold.  I'm sure many are available by now.
>
>Actually, there are remote program/plugins for Winamp that let you control
>it from a PalmPilot or a HP48/49 series graphics calculator

We're hitting the same wavelength here... only for these thought?  I never
got far enough to see if there's any IR remote/software available that would
work on the Lib.  I'd put my money on it though being one who was betting
MP3s to become a big thing back in '96-'97 when I got my first WAV -> MP3
converting software.

>(themselves running some remote control software), both of which are quite
>readable in bright daylight ... I was just curious if you people had found
>a way of making the Libby screen readable in bright daylight.

That's the problem.  Actually, depending on how the angle the light is
coming through the windows, and just bright it is, the screen can in fact be
visable to some degree.

I checked Man&Machine's working URL and wrote asking what kind of
modifications they did.  They said they opened up the LCD and made
modifications to increase the light, and added a glare filter to the front
of the LCD.  I wrote back asking for more specifics.  You don't think they
actually disassemble the LCD and put something inside?  They probably mean
they disassemble the lid, and add bulbs and hardware to make more light...
no?

> >Though if I set the system to start playing a playlist of my 500-600 MP3s
>before I start driving, I could drive days without having to lift the Lib's
>lid.
>
>Good god, how big is the HDD?!?!

MP3s are tiny!  That's what's so great... you can download them in 1/10th
the time it would take to download a WAV file.... and they're MUCH more hifi
than other compression schemes.  I widdled my MP3 folder to put the entire
Mircosoft Streets CD on this 6.4GB Toshiba HDD (6.6GB??) for travelling....
so now 648 MP3 files take up abpout 2.4GB.

>Speaking of which what precautions do you people recon should be taken
>regarding shockproofing for such applications?

I'm not that into extensive modifications to the truck if I don't have to.
I just sit the Lib on the seat next to me.  Works great at night.  No
problems with bounce at all.

Ttam